Friday, May 31, 2013

Mud Puddles and Dandelions

Yesterday on my way over to my sister's for her Stella & Dot Party I was listening to Matthew Kelly's "Raising Amazing Children." Our church had a stack of the CDs out in their gathering space for the taking.  I'm only 30 minutes in and I HIGHLY recommend giving it a listen!

He read this little poem and my goodness is this so true with my kids!


Mud Puddles & Dandelions
 
When I look at a patch of dandelions,
I see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over my yard.
My Kids see flowers for Mom
and blowing white fluff you can wish on.
 
 
 
When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me,
I see a smelly, dirty person
who probably wants money and I look away.
My Kids see someone smiling at them and they smile back.
 
 
 
When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune
and don't have much rhythm so I sit self-consciously and listen.
My Kids feel the beat and move to it.  They sing out the words.
If they don't know them, they make up their own.
 
 
 
When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it.
I feel it messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk.
My Kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it,
until they fall to the ground laughing.
 
 
When I pray, I say Thee and Though and grant me this, give me that.
My Kids say, "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends.
Please keep the bad dreams away tonight.
Sorry, I don't want to go to Heaven yet.
I would miss my Mommy and Daddy."
 
 
 
When I see a mud puddle I step around it.
I see muddy shoes and dirty carpets.
My Kids sit in it.  They see dams to build,
rivers to cross and worms to play with.
 
 
 
I wonder,
if we were given children
to teach or to learn from?
No wonder God loves the little Children!!
 
 
 
"Enjoy the little things in life,
for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
 
 
**We went to visit Great Grandma Bea this morning.  We were a little early so I decided to swing in to the cemetery where some of my Dad's ashes are, as well as my Grandpa Phenow and Grandpa Moran.  You can see in the pictures above.  Whenever you see Libby pointing, she's sayings "Jeeeesss" {Jesus}. I didn't think much of the quite stop as we were headed there, but it definitely made it to the memory books.  I was very impressed with Sally's understanding of it all as well as her want to pray, and insisting she close her eyes to focus.  It's worth mentioning that she also insisted on praying for Grandpa Joe to get married really soon! :)
 
**Thank you Grandma and George for the adorable matching dresses for the girls!!
 
Enjoy your weekend, Libby will be popping in quickly tomorrow, to wish her GodMommy Meggers a Happy 30th birthday!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Jackiea! You're a great mommy for our girls and take the time to make fond memories during your days.

    ReplyDelete