Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Loving the Ordinary!

I've been trying to take a step back and slow down a bit.  Life can move crazy fast sometimes and I'm often wondering how we {already} got here.  Maybe it's because of everything going wrong in the world, maybe it's the terrible Spring Weather.  Whatever it is, it's causing me to look at my girls, like really look at them!

Today it was especially Libby, the other day it was especially Sally.  I love where we are at in life right now.  They are at equally fun stages.

Sally has been talking a lot about someday when she's a mommy and this and that.  Here are a few questions and/or comments from her.

Sally: Can I sleep on the couch for nap time, someday when I'm a mommy?
Mommy: Sure, you get to do lots of stuff someday when you're a mommy!
Sally: But, where will you sleep?
Mommy:  Ummm I'm not sure what you mean
Sally: Well if I'm on the couch and my baby is sleeping upstairs, where will you sleep? Your bed?
M: You're going to live at our house when you're a mommy?
S: Of course, where else would I be?

Making sure girlfriend understands not all Mommys stay at home, so she's been thinking a lot about that.

S:Maybe I can work downtown someday, with Daddy, before I'm a mommy. *Pause for a minute I can tell the wheels are turning so I wait a bit longer* And then you can come downtown and have lunch with me and Daddy?  And Mommy, when you do that, can you make sure you bring me string cheese and yogurt with strawberries and grapes in it?
M: You bet girl, I'd be happy to bring you lunch
S: Maybe Libby can come too? I'll miss her if I'm not with her all day.

Every parent knows/thinks there child is so great, so funny, so smart, what have you.  Preschool is the first time where Sally creates a name for herself, I'm not there explaining what she's doing or why she's doing it or how she would usually do it. 

I'm appreciating the relationship I've built with her teachers.  I especially appreciate that they are noticing she's a gem!  One of her teachers is already getting teary-eyed at the thought of the school year being over.  "What am I going to do without seeing Sally each week?" Her teacher continues,  "Sally reminds me of the scarecrow in Wizard of Oz.  At the end, Dorothy looks to the Scarecrow and says, 'I'm going to miss you most of all.'"

I made it back to the car and then I cried, just a little bit. Happy tears.  My girl, she's letting her light shine.  People are noticing on their own that she's something special.  She's got the kindest sweetest heart and she pulls people in.  I'm glad I get to be her Mama.

Wowzer, I didn't expect to write so much.  However, the more I look back at older posts I enjoy the ones where I wrote a little more than a summary and I especially enjoy the videos.  I apologize if they aren't that funny or whatnot to you, but this here blog is just as much for me and my girls as it is to keep friends and family up to date with what we've been doing.

Anyway, back to loving the ordinary.  Today at breakfast I could tell it was one of those moments that I will some day look back and remember.  Remember what they were like at this age and I thought, grab the video camera.  There's no new trick or new word or funny thing, just a typical morning in our every day routine.   So here it is, nothing fancy or cute or sweet, just me and my girls, and a clucking chicken monkey, that I didn't notice was so annoying until I re-watched it.




Yes, we got snow, AGAIN, but this time it really was pretty! Whatever, at least we will lever forget the Spring of 2013



Sally: "Oh Mommy, look at that poor little Robin looking for spring.  Hold on little buddy, it's coming this weekend!" She doesn't forget a thing her Mommy says =)

Our street. Home.

Could have just ate her up today!

Post nap hair.  Also, the post nap breath {I love, never smelly, always sweet}, something I won't ever forget.  Any other mama out there know what I'm talking about
Hoping girlfriend loses the scarf-hair and moves on to the crown

I sat in her rocking chair for at least 15 minutes just watching her {that's a long time for a toddler to not come to their mama, who's in the same room, mind you, and whine for something}.  She'd grab a book.  Sit down. Turn each page.  Point things out she knew. Pretend to read the words with animation or make animal noises. Close the book.  Carefully put it in the pile with the other finished books.  Stand up. Walk over to pick out another book.

When we can't go out and play, you will often find us having dance parties
 
Remember when I posted about Sally hiking her pants up at Dance class?  Well this week at class one of the moms informed me that her daughter insisted on doing the same thing.  A dad overheard us and said, my daughter too.  She said, "This is what Sally does!" 
 
A quick bragging moment. 
 
 At dance this earlier this week, Mrs. Heather got the parachute out.  There were only so many handles, so some kids had to just hang on to the parachute.  One little girl was not too pleased that she couldn't find a handle, so became quite upset.  She was standing right next to Sally.  Sally was lucky and grabbed on to a handle right away. She was staring at the crying little girl.  I anxiously watched on the side.  I expected Sally to just continue to stare and let Mrs. Heather take care of it {she was quickly getting the music set up}.
 
What I saw next, melted my heart.  No look from me or any other adult, Sally, totally on her own, tapped the crying little girl on her shoulder and whispered, "Here, you can have my handle." And then Sally walked around to find a spot to hang on to the parachute without a handle.  It was no big deal.  She thought nothing of it. 
 
She got high praises from her Mama once we were in the car on the way home!



That's all for today, friends.

Happy 4th Birthday Lucy Girl!

Happy Happy Birthday Jess Rutten Petrick!

No comments:

Post a Comment