Friday, February 25, 2011

Exactly where I'm suppose to be

At Yoga our instructor often says, "You're exactly where you're suppose to be." Yes, Yes I am. I'm exactly where I'm suppose to be.  I think about that when I get to greet Sally in the morning. I think about that when I get to share breakfast, lunch and dinner with her.  I think about that when I feel a little flutter of excitement when we know Daddy's home. I think about that on the rare occasions{this is Daddy's special time} I get to be the one to put Sally to bed and those last few silent moments of the day where we're just rocking and snuggling, there really is no greater feeling.  I know I'm exactly where I'm suppose to be when we're in Church and the Homily seems to be directed right to me, or that we meet new couples at church who we have numerous coincidences with, like having had an 8am college class together.

I especially thought about it yesterday, as I was sitting at Children's Hospital Urgent Care waiting room.  No, it definitely wasn't where I wanted to be, but I knew it was exactly where I was suppose to be. I was suppose to be there, because I'm a mom and a mom is there to care, comfort and calm her child when they need you most.

Sally loves to stand on the chair at the kitchen table.  She's been doing it for a while.  However, when she tries to climb on the table she gets in big trouble.  She knows this.  When she starts to get up on the chair and I give her, the look,she smiles and says "SIT DOWN!" She knows, oh, she knows.  Yesterday morning, she wasn't climbing on the table, but she was standing on the chair.  The chair got pushed away from her feet and she fell.  On the way down she hit her head on the chair and then landed on her back hitting her head on the hardwood floor.  She's fallen before.  She's cried before.  I like to believe myself to be a fairly calm mother who doesn't overreact about the little bumps and bruises that happen.  They're going to happen.  She can't live in a bubble.  However, this cry was different.  It wasn't just a cry because she got scared, or she needed an extra kiss and squeeze from her mama.  This cry was full of pain. I grabbed her blankie and boo boo bunny and we snuggled on the couch and watched Elmo.  She didn't cry hard for long, but her whimpers lasted a little longer than normal.  I moved her arms, legs and head around to make sure she didn't break anything.  She was fine.  About 10 minutes after her fall she jolted up and the split second before it happened, I knew, I knew she was about to throw up everywhere.  She did. 

Then I started to turn on survival mode.  Long story short, she's fine.  After waiting at Children's for two and a half hours, TWO AND A HALF HOURS!! The Doctor said she was fine.  He didn't need to run any tests all signs showed she just had a bad fall and threw up because of the excitement of it all.  She didn't have a concussion because she would  have needed to throw up more than once and wouldn't have been able to keep food down.  She didn't have anything going on internally because she didn't show any signs of being tried or dizzy or slurred speech.  The doctor said, "If anything this fall served her well, she's one of the more advanced toddlers I have seen in quite some time.  Are you sure she's not two yet?"

Around the two hour mark, Sally kept coming to me and saying "Bye Bye." I know, I wanted to leave too, but I told her we had to see the doctor first.  When we finally saw the doctor, Sally looked at him said, "HIIIII Doctor!" Looked to me and said , "Bye Bye Now Mommy."  In her mind, she saw the doctor, now let's get out of here!  She performed all of her tricks for him so that we could get out of there as soon as possible.  We will follow up with our pediatrician on Monday, otherwise, we're good to go!

I feel the worst for Reid.  How helpless he must have felt being an airplane ride away.  We did our best to keep him at ease by sending him pictures and videos throughout the whole process.  It'll sure feel good to have him home tonight and we can rest in his arms and let all our worries float away.  It'll be exactly where we're suppose to be.  Back together again!

Here's a picture of us waiting to see the doctor.  I think this was only the one hour mark.


Here's a quick video we sent to Daddy...about 15 minutes before she fell.


Here's to hoping for a drama free weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Those kind of falls can be so scary! Ouch!! So happy you are okay Sally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO scary! I'm glad everything is OK. Better safe than sorry when it comes to head injuries, that's for sure. Take it easy this weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that Sally is okay! I can only imagine how scary that would be! Here's to a relaxing weekend for you guys!

    ReplyDelete