Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Amazing what a difference 6 months can make

Yesterday we went over to the Starkey's to meet Leo! What a handsome peanut!  Might I add that the names Libby & Leo sound pretty cute together, just sayin' :)

As Molly went from 2-3 kids I asked how the transition was.  She said obviously a little survival mode, but that's to be expected with a newborn, but nothing compared to the craziness she felt when she went from one to two.  We had a good laugh when we thought back to having just one and we thought it was hard.  You couldn't get anything done...yeah right.  There were days I didn't think I had a chance to get a shower in.  Now having two, there are days when both girls are fully awake and I jump in the shower...never would have done that with one.  Funny how things change.

Since we're talking about change, we had a little preview of grad school being back in our lives.  Reid was fortunate that he was able to do an online class through Carlson, for his summer class.  He's been very busy with homework, almost more so than when he has two classes.  I have appreciated that he doesn't actually have to be gone two nights during the week to attend class, he is able to watch the lectures in the basement after the girls go to bed. 

This week as I mentioned, he had a big midterm for his class.  Monday night he had a review session and last night was the test, so it was as if we were back to the grad school thing.  Holy Moly has our crazy evenings changed.  I couldn't help, but think back to when he started his spring semester in January.  At that time I was juggling the crazy schedule of nursing and caring for the demands of a one month old, as well as the demands of a 2 1/2 year old still adjusting to having a sibling. Libby hadn't developed a sleep schedule and definitely not going to bed until after 9, not really leaving anytime for a mommy break.  My mind flashed back to the evening when Sally had the flu.  I was running between nursing Libby and catching puke in a bucket for at least 2 hours straight. 

Last night Libby gracefully went to bed at 6:30, leaving me precious one on one time with Sally to give her a bath, read books, sing songs and say prayers.  She was sound asleep by 7:30, leaving me a full 2 hours of ME time.  My oh my how times have changed!  As all parents know, it's just a phase, this too shall pass.  Too bad that also refers to good times as much as the challenging times.


Photograph compliments of Miss Sally

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I am so envious of having a routine and time for yourself in the evening. I'm trying to soak up all of this newborn-ness, but the type A, rigid routine girl in me is struggling!!! Grad school will be over before you know it and soon you will have a third baby :-) Libby and Leo do sound just way too cute together. Next girl you have, make it sound good with Jack or Finn :-)

    ReplyDelete